Friday, October 23, 2009

Plumber wins job in Antarctic

Plumber Mark Green has beaten 2,000 rivals to win his dream job working next to the South Pole at the Halley research station.

Green is joining the British Antarctic Survey on the Bunt Ice Shelf to maintain their heating, water and loos 800 miles from the South Pole.

He flies out to start the 15 month contract on November 10 leaving behind his wife Anna and son Jake in Bristol.

Green told the Daily Mirror: "I just can't wait. The farthest I've been before is Spain. But when I heard of this job on the radio I knew I'd always regret it if I didn't have a go."
 
Apart from 10 scientists and 42 other support staff - picked from record number of credit crunch work-seekers - his closest neighbours will be emperor penguins as he works on pipes in shafts up to 20 metres below the two-metre snow.

The British Antarctic Survey has been researching the icy continent for more than 60 years and has 400 staff and three stations there.





Bethel University nursing program wins full approvalMillionaire plumber boss goes undercover on site for Channel 4