Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A construction worker's story of being blacklisted

Electrician Phil Willis, 59, on how he has suffered from blacklisting for over two decades.

Being a union activist means my name has been on the blacklist for more than 20 years and during that time it has cost me countless starts on site.

At least now I will be able to look at what they have written about me and try and put things right.

I’ve been a shop steward on jobs where there have been no disputes but the next job I went for I got turned down flat with no explanation.

Now it’s tough getting to work being on a blacklist means you have no chance. I haven’t worked for over two years and have applied for a lot of jobs I am well qualified for.

Everyone has known about this for years – it’s just been a question of proving it. That’s why this is such good news for workers who have been discriminated against unfairly.

ADVERTISEMENT

A construction workers story of being blacklisted

 

Why should I suffer because I stand up for my rights? One of the few advantages of the recession is that it might spell an end to all these dodgy business practices.

There are some massive names involved in this and they should be ashamed of carrying-on in this way. Let’s hope the people who sanctioned this are made to suffer like me and thousands of other innocent construction workers.






Temp workers suffer job losses, too
Comments made by contractors about blacklisted workers
McAlpine accused of ‘paying ВЈ26,000′ to blacklist firm