Monday, March 16, 2009

Mace starts construction on the Shard of Glass

Mace will begin construction of the Shard of Glass at London Bridge today (Monday).

Set to be the tallest mixed-use building in Western Europe, the Renzo Piano design goes ahead at a time when work has stopped on skyscrapers across the globe.

"This will be a landmark building and we've already let out 40 per cent of it," project managing director Bernard Ainsworth told the Financial Times

New orders in the non-residential building sector in the three months to the end of January came to just ВЈ2bn, a substantial drop on the ВЈ4.1bn same period last year, according to recent data from the Office of National Statistics. The development cost of London Bridge Quarter sits at ВЈ2bn with contracts worth ВЈ650m put out to tender so far.

Chris Cole, chief executive of WSP, the structural engineer on the project told the FT: "This is one of the few shows left in town now."



Work on Bible theme park suspended in Lebanon
Lend Lease wins ВЈ450m Salford Quays Media City deal
GMB threatens national strike over underpaid Grain workers
Nolensville leaders wrangle over Town Center project